Sunday, May 1, 2011

Malcolm Gladwell on Human Diversity

Call to action: Accept and work with the different kinds of humans.

Gladwell talks about spaghetti and the variability of food choices. He relates our choices in food and our satisfaction with those choices to our levels of happiness. He makes a point that embracing the variability of human tastes will bring us more joy than a prescribed "universal" product for everyone. That is why we have different kinds of spaghetti sauce, and different kinds of mustard and an entire menu of coffee.

"In embracing the diversity of human beings, we will find a surer way to true happiness" - Malcolm Gladwell (2004)

Malcolm Gladwell is my personal hero. He looked into things that made me think critically about society and how my life figured into the scheme of things. I read Outliers and Blink with awe and big grains of salt. My most valuable take away from his books is an undeniable sense of awareness of the world we live in.

No comments: